Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Finks, Meescuels, and whoo I'm tired

The thing about Mysql is that I might want to compile apps that use the mysql source.

If that crops up, then I'll uninstall the prepackaged binary and use the docs at DIYMacServer. However, right now, I just want to get the thing running.

So I'm just going to download the package from the MySQL site.

Make sure you got through the readme. It points out the following lines have to be added to your .bashrc file

alias mysql=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql
alias mysqladmin=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin

Don't have a .bashrc file? No worries, this what you have to do:

  1. Create a .bash_profile in your home directory and insert this line:
    source ~/.bashrc
  2. Create a .bashrc file in your home directory and insert the above two lines:
    alias mysql=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql
    alias mysqladmin=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin

All set! Now you can call mysql and mysqladmin from the command line.

Next, I install Fink and FinkCommander in case I need to compile libraries that just. won't. work. Be sure to read the documentation. Now read it again. And again.

I couldn't help but laugh at this line on the Fink Commander description:

Fink Commander is ... (blah blah blah) ... It provides an intuitive front-end to the Fink command-line tools

BWAH HAH HAHAHAH HAHHAHA!

Be prepared for MUCH pain and suffering if you use this (which you will, because you need it).

Side note: I just discovered that I forgot to back up a significant library of code I wrote when I replaced the hard drive. After a few minutes of stunned panic, I remembered I still have the old drive. So I called up TekServe and asked if they can help me get the files back. It'll cost me, but I really really need those files. They represent a LOT of work. This teaches me not to back up twice.

Next up: Git it!

No comments:

Post a Comment