Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I hate apple

I really really do. Sometimes I think the people at Cuppertino intentional make things weird just to trip me up.

Anyway, I needed to install libxml2 onto my system, because the default version just won't cut it. But of course, the system ignores what I installed and keeps using the /usr/lib version.

So I overwrite it. Sensible right? I mean, I'm just using the latest version of some code written BY THE GUYS THAT CAME UP WITH IT IN THE FIRST PLACE ... naturally the whole system breaks down.

So I boot out, reinstall the libxml2 libraries that come with the installation disc and hunt around and find out that I'm not alone.

I hate apple. I wish adobe would come out with a flash IDE for Linux so I can just switch over and use an operating system THAT ACTUALLY WORKS.


mycomputer$ export ARCHFLAGS='-arch i386 -arch ppc -arch ppc64 -arch x86_64'

mycomputer$ ./configure --with-python=/Library/Frameworks/Python64.framework/Versions/2.6 --prefix=/usr/local/libxml2-2.7.3

mycomputer$ make && sudo make install

cd /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages
sudo ln -s /usr/local/libxml2-2.7.3/lib/python2.6/site-packages/* ./


Note that when you are passing over the value for --with-python, you are only passing the dir where python2.6 is located

Two invaluable sites:

James Clark
lsimons

No comments:

Post a Comment