Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Why "but he's our SOB" is really just an SOB

I never liked Christopher Hitchens. OK, I'll admit that I found his debate with his brother to be pretty sweet, but on the whole I've felt him to be pompous and fanatical.

Like a lot of atheists, he's as devoted to his anti-religious screed as the people he decries are devoted to their own religions. But I could live with that. I could live with his insults to my religion, especially regarding circumcision. I could live with the vitriol he directs at religious Jews in general. I could live with the backhanded insults he gave to America, probably the worlds greatest Democracy. A country founded primarily by religious Christians.

I could live with it, because I understood the principle of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". Hitchens made it very clear, that as much as he despised religious people, as much as he despised G-d in general, as much as he tried to tear us down at every opportunity, at least he would help support us in the fight against islamic fascism.

Then of course, he backed Obama, the former Senator who tried to stop the very successful surge. Why? Because Palin, the vice presidential candidate was too religious for him.

What we learn from this is the following "the enemy of my enemy, may be helpful, but know that sooner or later the son of a bitch will stab you the back."

I'm only thinking of this now because of this post I read on Martin Kramers blog. All I could think to myself was "what a pompous bastard!"

Well, not so much that as this. If you see that someone is a fanatic, if you see that they have an axe to grind, and that they are over the top in their statements, know that such people are never to be trusted. It doesn't really matter what their philosophy is or viewpoints are. It can be views similiar to your own. But fanaticism and nuttiness in general indicates someone who simply wishes to sow chaos and grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment